Original spelling: Wolfgang Stürzlinger
Research Areas: 3D and Spatial User Interfaces, Virtual and Augmented Reality,
Human-Computer Interaction, Immersive Analytics, Visual Analytics
- We exhibited TIVES, the Temporary Immersive Virtual Environment at SFU (a cheap, non-permanent CAVE) at the #BCTech Summit 2018.
- My work around a new kind of virtual reality display system was featured on the SFU home page.
- A paper on a new model for steering (a cursor/pen) through successive pairs of obstacles was presented at CHI 2018.
- Two papers appeared at IEEE VR 2018. The first introduces two new gaze- and a cursor-based pointing methods for "wiggle 3D" displays, the second shows that even very simple reference frames improve spatial orientation.
- I gave an invited talk at the Symposium on Virtual and Augmented Reality for Space Science and Exploration at the Keck Institute for Space Studies at JPL, Caltech.
- A paper on new method to detect user reactions to incorrect auto-corrects appeared at ACM ICMI 2017.
- The Visual Analytics work of
Gökhan Çetin, one of my students, was featured in the FCAT blog.
- A paper on the effects of virtual arm representations on pointing in virtual environments appeared at ACM VRST 2017.
- I was part of a panel on Spatial User Interaction at ACM SUI 2017.
- A paper on the automatic generation of User Interface layouts for alternative screen orientations received a Reviewer's Choice Award at Interact 2017.
- Two papers appeared at CHI 2017. One about a new characterization of the gorilla arm syndrome, press release, another about a steering model for path sequences.
- Work on a new augmented reality system for visualization and presentation was presented at the Siggraph Asia Symposium on Visualization 2016.
- A paper about two new, efficient 3D positioning methods (video) appeared at ACM SUI 2016. The work received a Best Demonstration Award.
- I gave a talk at Microsoft Research in August 2016.
- I gave a keynote at SVR 2016 in Brazil.
- I was co-chair for the Dagstuhl Seminar on Immersive Analytics in June 2016. Immersive Analytics is a novel field that builds on the best features from virtual and augmented reality and combines them with visual analytics to facilitate the analysis of big data.
- Three papers appeared at CHI 2016. One about a smart, restorable backspace (video),
the second on an ambient light display (video),
and the third about elicitation of single-hand microgestures.
The last paper has been recognized with a Best Paper Honorable Mention Award.
- I gave one of two invited talks at the Nii Shonan Seminar on Immersive Analytics in February 2016.
- I gave an invited talk at the President's Dream Colloqium on Engaging Big Data at Simon Fraser University in February 2016.
- Older News
School of Interactive Arts + Technology
Simon Fraser University
250-13450 102nd Avenue
Surrey, BC V3T 0A3
Phone: +1 (778)782-7474
Direct: +1 (778)782-9916
Fax: +1 (778)782-9422
Office: Surrey 2788. Here are directions.
If you cannot access the image of my e-mail address: it is the initial of my first name followed by a dot followed by the initial of my last name followed by an at-sign and the university domain name (sfu.ca).
WWW page: http://ws.iat.sfu.ca