Original spelling: Wolfgang Stürzlinger
School of Interactive Arts + Technology
Simon Fraser University, Surrey 2788
250-13450 102 Avenue
Surrey, BC V3T 0A3 CANADA
Tel: +1 (778)782-9916
Fax: +1 (778)782-9422
WWW page: http://ws.iat.sfu.ca
Born in Wels, Austria.
Languages: German, English, French.
Dec. 2000: Habilitation (Dr. habil.) in Computer Science, Johannes
Kepler Univ. Linz, Austria. Thesis title: Bildgenerierung (in
Feb. 1991 - Apr. 1993: Graduate student at the Vienna Univ. of
Technology, Austria. Dr. (Ph.D) in Computer Science, Apr. 1993. Advisor:
Prof. W. Barth, thesis title: Radiosity with Voronoi Diagrams and
Discontinuity Meshes (in German).
Oct. 1985 - Nov. 1989: Student at the Vienna Univ. of Technology,
Austria. Dipl.-Ing. (M.Sc) in Computer Science, Nov. 1989. Advisor: Prof.
Brockhaus, thesis title: C-Compiler for the VIP-RISC processor
- Professor, School of Interactive Arts + Technology, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada.
- Associate Member, School of Computing Science, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada.
- Member of the Centre for Vision Research, York University, Toronto, Canada.
- Member of Graduate Program in Computer Science and Engineering, York University, Toronto, Canada.
Employment & Sabbatical Visits
- Sep. 2014 - present: Full Professor, School of Interactive Arts + Technology, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada.
- Jan. 2011 - Aug. 2014: Full Professor, Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, York University, Toronto, Canada.
- May 2012 - May 2012: Visiting Professor at University of Würzburg, Germany
- Nov. 2011 - Mar. 2012: Visiting Professor at HITLab New Zealand, Christchurch
- July 2003 - Dec. 2010: Associate Professor, Dept. of
Computer Science and Engineering, York University, Toronto, Canada.
- Feb. 2005 - Apr. 2005: Visiting Professor, InSitu @ Univ. Paris-Sud, France, AR Group @ Technical Univ. of Munich, Germany, Institute for Simulation and Graphics @ Univ. of Magdeburg, Germany.
- Sep. 1998 - June 2003: Assistant Professor, Dept. of Computer Science,
York University, Toronto, Canada.
- Apr. 1998 - Aug. 1998: Postgraduate researcher at Dept. of Graphics
and Parallel Processing (GUP), Univ. of Linz, Austria.
- Jan. 1997 - Mar. 1998: Visiting scholar at Dept. of Computer Science,
Univ. of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, USA.
- Feb. 1995 - Dec. 1996: Postgraduate researcher at Dept. of Graphics
and Parallel Processing (GUP), Univ. of Linz, Austria.
- Oct. 1992 - Jan. 1995: Univ. Assistant (research, teaching and administrative
duties) at Dept. of Graphics and Parallel Processing (GUP), Univ. of Linz,
- Feb. 1991 - Sep. 1992: Univ. Assistant (research, teaching and
administrative duties) at Institute of Computer Graphics, Vienna Univ.
of Technology, Austria.
- July 1982 - present: Cofounder of RZL Computer Software GesmbH,
Austria, producing software for tax consultants. Until 1989 systems
programmer, 1989 - 1991 head of programming, and since 1991 consulting
activities. WWW page: http://www.rzl.at
List of Patents (excerpt)
Several other patents have been filed or are in preparation.
- W. Stuerzlinger, Collaborative Pointing Devices.
- L. Whitehead, G. Ward, W. Stuerzlinger, H. Seetzen, High dynamic range display devices.
Awards, Fellowships, Honours
- Best Paper Award for interaction 2017 paper Analysis and modeling of the operation of steering a connected linear route.
- Reviewer's Choice Award for Interact 2017 paper Automatic Generation of User Interface Layouts for Alternative Screen Orientations.
- Best Demonstration Award for ACM SUI 2016 paper Shift-Sliding and Depth Pop for 3D Positioning.
- Best Paper Honorable Mention Award for CHI 2016 paper User Elicitation on Single-hand Microgestures.
- Recognition of Service Award, ACM SIG Governing Board, 2013.
- Gitte Lindgaard award (best paper) for OzCHI 2013 paper Pseudo-Pressure Detection and Its Use in Predictive Text Entry on Touchscreens.
- Recognition of Service Award, ACM SIG Governing Board, 2012.
- Honorable Mention award, for IEEE 3D UI Contest 2012 submission Escape from Meadwyn 4: A Cross-platform Environment for Collaborative Navigation Tasks. Jia Wang, Rahul Budhiraja, Owen Leach, Rory Clifford, Daiki Matsuda, supervised by Rob Lindeman, Gun Lee, and Wolfgang Stuerzlinger.
- Certificate of Appreciation (for outstanding leadership), IEEE Technical Committee on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 2008 and 2009.
- Merit Award, York University, Nov. 2005.
- Featured on York University's newly redesigned research WWW Site, Oct. 2003.
- Junior Faculty Research Award, York University, 1999-2002.
- Erwin-Schrödinger Fellowship, Austrian Science Foundation (FWF), No.
TEC-J01317, Intuitive Three-dimensional Modeling, Oct. 1996.
- Günther Enderle Award (best technical paper) for Eurographics '96 paper Three Dimensional Image Cache for Virtual Reality, Aug. 1996. Together with G. Schaufler.
Board Appointments, Steering Committes, Scientific Program Committees, Reviewing
- Member of the steering committee for Visual Computing at Simon Fraser University, 2018-current.
- Member of the editorial board for Proceedings of the ACM on Human Computer Interaction, 2017-current.
- Member of the Vancouver Institute for Visual Analytics (VIVA) Steering Committee, 2014-current.
- Member of the ACM Spatial User Interaction Steering Committee, 2018-current.
- Chair of the ACM Spatial User Interaction Steering Committee, 2013-2018.
- Member of the ACM SIGCHI Council of Steering Committee Chairs, 2015-2017.
- Member of editorial board for IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Department editor for Spatial Interfaces 2015-2017.
- Member of IEEE 3D UI Steering Committee, 2006-2017.
- Chair of IEEE 3D UI Steering Committee, 2012-2013.
- Member of the IEEE 3DCVE Steering Committee, 2014-2016.
- Member of the GRAND NCE Board of Directors, 2010-2015.
- Member of editorial board for Journal of Computer Graphics Techniques (former Journal of Graphics Tools), 2001-2013.
- Member of editorial board for Journal of WSCG, 2001-2005.
- Associate chair for ACM CHI 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019.
- Co-chair for Socio-Technical Aspects of Text Entry, Workshop at MobileHCI 2018.
- Co-chair for Spatial Interaction in Games, VR and AR, Workshop at ACM Interactive Surfaces and Spaces 2016.
- Co-chair for Dagstuhl Seminar on Immersive Analytics, June 2016.
- Program chair for ACM Symposium on Spatial User Interaction 2015.
- Program chair for ACM Symposium on Spatial User Interaction 2014.
- Program chair for ACM Symposium on Spatial User Interaction 2013.
- Co-organizer for IEEE Vis Workshop on 3DVis 2014: Does 3D really make sense for Data Visualization?
- Program chair for ACM Symposium on Virtual Reality Software and Technology 2012.
- Chair and program chair for IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces 2007.
- Program chair for IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces 2006 and 2008.
- Publicity chair for ACM UIST 2005
- Co-organizer for IEEE VR 2005 Workshop on New Directions in 3D User Interfaces.
- General chair and program committee chair for
Graphics Interface 2002.
- Program committee chair for
Eurographics Workshop on Virtual Environments 2002.
- Posters chair for Graphics Interface 2000
- Member of organizing committee for ACPC Paragraph Workshop 1994.
Program committee membership
- ACM Symposium on Virtual Reality Software and Technology (VRST) 2003, 2007-2010, 2013, 2018
- IEEE Symposium on Big Data Visual Analytics (BDVA) 2015, 2017, 2018
- IEEE Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Virtual Reality 2018
- Journal paper program committee for IEEE Virtual Reality and 3D User Interfaces (VR) 2018, published in IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics
- SAVR 2017 Software for Augmented and Virtual Reality, Workshop at SPLASH 2017
- Immersive Analytics: Exploring Future Interaction and Visualization Technologies for Data Analytics, Workshop at ACM Interactive Surfaces and Spaces 2016, 2017
- Virtual and Augmented Reality Systems, Session at IEEE Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics 2017
- Graphics Interface 2000-2003, 2017
- ACM Tangible, Embodied and Embedded Interaction 2017
- ACM Symposium on Spatial User Interaction 2016
- Workshop on Collaborative Virtual Environments (3DCVE) @ IEEE VR 2016
- Expressive (Joint Symposium on Computational Aesthetics, Sketch-Based Interfaces and Modeling, and Non-Photorealistic Animation and Rendering) 2014
- Workshop on Document Changes: modeling, detection, storage and visualization, at ACM DocEng 2013-2014
- ACM UIST 2013
- ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on Interactive 3D Graphics and Games (i3D) 2001, 2005-2006, 2009-2010, 2012-13
- OzCHI 2012
- International Symposium Sketch-Based Interfaces and Modeling 2005-2006, 2011
- IFIP Interact 2005, 2007, 2011
- IEEE Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (ISMAR) 2005-2010
- ACM Interactive Tabletops and Surfaces 2010
- IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces 2005-2008, 2010
- Foundations of Digital Games 2010
- IEEE TIC-STH Symposium on Human Factors and Ergonomics 2009
- IEEE Virtual Reality 2001-2002, 2007-2009
- ACM Futureplay 2008-2009
- IEEE 3-D Imaging and Modeling (3DIM) 2007
- Eurographics Symposium on Virtual Environments 2002, 2004, 2006
- IEEE Procams 2006
- Eurographics 2005
- NordiCHI Short Papers 2004
- ACM SIGGRAPH Posters 2004
- International Conference in Central Europe on Computer Graphics and Visualization 1996-2000
- Eurographics Symposium on Rendering 1998
- Compugraphics 1995-1997
- Eurographics Workshop on Parallel Graphics and Visualization 1996
Reviewer for many Canadian and international funding organizations as well as for many international journals and conferences.
ACM, IEEE, CHCCS (Canada)
Invited Talks, Courses, Presentation in Panels, etc.
- Immersive Analytics, Symposium on Virtual and Augmented Reality for Space Science and Exploration at the Keck Institute for Space Studies at JPL, Caltech, Jan 30, 2018.
- Towards Better 3D User Interfaces, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Nov. 2017, McGill University, Montreal, Dec. 2017.
- Presentation in panel Spatial User Interaction at ACM Symposium on Spatial User Interaction, Oct. 17, 2017.
- Immersive Analytics, Vancouver Visualization Meetup @ Tableau Canada, Feb. 8, 2017.
- Towards Better 3D User Interfaces, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada, Apr. 2016, Microsoft Research, Redmond, USA, Aug. 2016, SFU School of Computing Science Colloquium Series, Nov. 2016.
- Towards Better User Interfaces for 3D, Keynote at Symposium on Virtual and Augmented Reality (SVR) 2016, Gramado, Brazil, June 2016.
- Virtual Reality + Visual Analytics, Keynote at Nii Shonan Seminar on Immersive Analytics, Shonan Village, Japan, Feb. 2016.
- Visual Analytics, President's Dream Colloqium on Engaging Big Data, Simon Fraser University, Feb. 2016.
- Is 'Iron Man 2' Right? Re-Investigating 3D User Interfaces, Joseph Fourier University, Grenoble, France, Mar. 2015, University of Tokyo, Japan, Apr. 2015.
- Interactive Alternatives in Visual Analytics, Keynote at CANVAS 2014, Canadian Visual Analytics School, Vancouver, Canada, July 30, 2014.
- Is 'Iron Man 2' Right? Re-Investigating 3D User Interfaces, Keynote at MHCI 2013, International Conference on Multimedia and Human Computer Interaction, Toronto, Canada, July 19, 2013.
- Is 'Iron Man 2' Right? Re-Investigating 3D User Interfaces, Keynote at i-Society 2013, International Conference on Information Society, Toronto, Canada, June 25, 2013.
- Presentation in panel Great Thinkers at Touch Gesture Motion 2013, May 22, 2013.
- Is 'Iron Man 2' Right? Re-Investigating 3D User Interfaces, Keynote at Touch Gesture Motion 2013, as part of Displayweek 2013, Vancouver, Canada, May 22, 2013.
- Is 'Iron Man 2' Right? Re-Investigating 3D User Interfaces, Univ. of Aalborg, Denmark, May 2012, Univ. of Würzburg, Germany, Univ. of Western Ontario, Canada, June 2012, McMaster University, Canada, Apr. 2013, University of Toronto, Canada, June 2013.
- Stereo vs. One-Eyed Cursors and Implications for Touch Interfaces, Dagstuhl Seminar Touching the 3rd Dimension, Germany, Apr. 2012.
- Is 'Iron Man 2' Right? Re-Investigating 3D User Interfaces, TEDx Talk, Toronto, Canada, Nov. 2010.
- Is 'Iron Man 2' Right? Re-Investigating 3D User Interfaces, TU Munich, Germany, Dec. 2010, SFU, Vancouver, Univ. of Manitoba, Canada, July 2011, Univ. of Waterloo, Oct. 2011, HITlabNZ, New Zealand, Dec. 2011, Univ. of Otago, Univ. of Auckland, New Zealand, Feb. 2012.
- Is 'Minority Report' Right? Reflections on 3D User Interfaces, Royal Canadian Institute, Toronto, Canada, Feb. 2010.
- Guidelines for Developing 3D User Interfaces, Univ. Stuttgart, Germany, June 2009.
- 3D User Interfaces: Design, Implementation, Usability, together with 4 others, course at ACM CHI 2009, Mar. 2009.
- 3D Interaction for Desktops and Games, Invited talk at ACM Futureplay 2008, Toronto, Nov. 2008.
- Next Generation 3D Manipulation Techniques, Dagstuhl Seminar on Virtual Realities, Schloß Dagstuhl, Germany, June 2008.
- Next Generation 3D Interface Techniques, Presentation at Panel "3D User Interfaces: Present and Future", IEEE 3DUI Symposium, Mar. 2008.
- The Future of User Interfaces in Web 2.0, Presentation at CASCON Workshop on User Interface Design for Desktop and Web 2.0 Applications, Oct 2007.
- Collaborative Creation of 3D Digital Models, Univ. of York, United
Kingdom, June 2006, Univ. of Ontario Inst. of Technology, Apr. 2007.
- Gestalt-Based Object Group Selection, Centre for Vision Research, York Univ., Feb. 2007.
- Collaborative Creation of 3D Digital Models, Univ. of Paris-Sud, France,
TU Munich, Univ. of Munich, Univ of Magdeburg, Univ. of Braunschweig,
Univ. of Hamburg, Germany, Univ. of Klagenfurt, Austria, Mar.-Sep. 2005.
- Model for non-Expert Text Entry Speed on 12-Button Phone Keypads and
High Dynamic Range Display Systems, Microsoft Research, Redmond,
- Mentor for ThinkTank at Canadian Undergraduate Technology Conference, Toronto, Jan. 2004.
- Virtual Lego: A Conceptual 3D Design System, TorCHI (Toronto Region's special interest group on Computer-Human Interaction), Dec. 2002.
- Efficient Manipulation of Virtual Environments, Graz University of Technology, Austria, June 2002.
- Efficient 3D Manipulation, Knowledge Media Design Institute Lecture Series, Univ. of Toronto, Apr. 2001.
- Optimized Image Generation Techniques in Computer Graphics, Centre for Vision Research, York University, Nov. 1998.
- Real-time Walkthrough of Massive Models, Univ. Ulm, D, July 1998.
- Reconstructing Material Properties from Video Images, Univ. of North
Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA, Dec. 1996.
- Optimizing the Local Pass, Dagstuhl Seminar on Global Illumination, Schloß Dagstuhl, Germany, June 1996.
- Computer Graphics Research at the Univ. of Linz, Technical Univ.
of Brno, CZ, Apr. 1996.
- Multimedia Demo for EXPO 1993 in Seoul, Korea, Hagenberg, A, Oct.
- Realistic Image Generation with Radiosity Methods, Univ. Linz, A,
- Radiosity with Voronoi Diagrams, Cornell Univ., Princeton Univ.,
USA, July 1992.
Please refer to the separate research project list.
Please refer to the separate publication list.
Training of Highly Qualified Personnel
Please refer to the separate page on highly qualified personnel, which lists also my alumni.
Research projects supported by Adobe, NSERC, NCE, ORDCF, CFI, CRESTech, NSBRI, OGSST,
CAE, IMAX, MDR, SGI, SFU, York University, Seneca College, and others.
- Member of Advisory Board for bookfly.ca
RZL Software (software design, databases, security, user interfaces),
City Council of Linz (visualization of GIS data), GASCAD (photo-realistic
rendering), GAS Software (rendering), HAN Dataport CAD Systems (hidden
line algorithms), HS Software (modelling).